

ORYCON Con Committee Meeting

Date / Time

02-April-2023 / 2:00 PM, PST

Location

<online location>

Online Zoom Meeting

Outline:

- Meeting Start
- Merchants
 - o Registration
 - o Food Truck and Food at Con
- Hotel Report
 - o Child Care
- Programming
 - o E-mail Issues
- Outreach
 - o Planned Training
 - o Staff and Programming
 - o Guests
 - o RegFox
 - o Last Things
- Meeting End
 - o Post Meeting Chatter

Attachments:

ATTACHMENT A: ORYCON Meeting Attendance and Abbreviations

ATTACHMENT B: ORYCON Meeting Chat

ATTACHMENT C: ORYCON Meeting Agenda, E-mail, Notes?

ATTACHMENT D: ORYCON Online Links

ATTACHMENT E: ORYCON Merchant Liaison Report; April 2, 2023

ATTACHMENT F: ORYCON 11-Mar-2023 Facebook Post by Con Chair Recruiting for Con Staff

MEETING MINUTES

<OR MAJOR MEETING SESSION>

(Revised with video of Zoom recording Taken from typed notes during meeting – Zoom recording not available as of 09-Apr-2023)

Meeting Start

abt 2:00 PM, Pacific Time

Start with Department updates

Merchants

Started with some sound issues for that were somewhat resolved

SH: Got OryCon info out to merchants at GameStorm. Info out on facebook – SH managing merchant group on facebook. Handing out flyers at KinkFest this Saturday. GameStorm.

LR: Have 16 Merchant applications for OryCon (9 dealers, 4 artists and 3 writers) – good start.

LR: SH and LR are working on communications between them. They are getting better. SH and LR have known each other for a long time.

LH: Have list of membership types from LR.

LH: Have list of all price points for merchants – working on an app for merchants. RegFox System. Different pages for different types of applicants. Learning how to do that. LR can do that as well. RegFox does not allow Paypal but can do Stripe(sp?), but other advantages are worth it.

Registration

Abt 0:06:30

LH: Working on attendee pages. Need to finish. – Registration update aside.

LH: working on group registration – so one person can register multiple people.

Food Truck and Food at Con

LR: Arranging a food truck. – in Merchant Report – see attachment. \$300 per day. cost. Emphasis on Saturday, busiest and most challenging for food. Have a possible vendor – would be their first job.

PJD: Looking for flyer for GameStorm food truck.

AC: Copied e-mail discussion about food truck to Angel May (sp?) who has food truck information for GameStorm.

LR: Has contact information for Angel who knows about the food truck at GameStorm. Will reach out to Angel for info.

SH: Don't know cuisine, but the name of new food truck is "Blue Dragon".

MP: Needs when and what they're serving, so Hospitality can counter-program their food offerings,

LH: Did not budget for food truck -- \$300 is per truck per day.

AC: GameStorm had one truck and they were larger than OryCon is planning.

Group Discusses investing on food truck – Hotel restaurant is nice, does have food for different needs – food allergies, vegetarian – but it is expensive and they're sit-down service -- slow – time problem during a convention. \$300 cost would have to come out of some budget other than Merchants. People are expected to need close-by food. Traveling for food is difficult.

LH: Would like cafeteria to be open to attendees to eat their food.

AC: Glisan is large enough for people to eat. It is in the hotel contract.

LH: Plan on hospitality and Glisan being next door. And planning on hospitality getting people to work the cafeteria.

Discussion about food delivery. LH has found that unreliable in the hotel area. GrubHub is possible. 2 year ago DR had no problem with DoorDash 2 years ago.

AD: Look into coupons for local food places? MP said that Hospitality could distribute.

VL: Will research local restaurants for food coupons. She is familiar with that – getting coupons for fund-raising auctions.

RL: Please check on a minimum sale guarantee contract for food truck. We should fine that out

LH: That is fair, but we cannot afford that.

SH, LR with MP: will look into getting food truck, cost and report back.

Hotel Report

Abt: 0:17:30

PW: Signed contract and hotel – cheers. Not what we wanted. Post pandemic hotel relations have been Hell-on-Earth. Need meeting on it, AC, PW, VL and LH to go over details of contract.

PW: Have had family issues that reduced convention time.

PW: Hotel is owned by completely different corporation. Hotel contact is Carrie (sp?), possibly a catering manager; new person from previous OryCons. Cheryl the sales manager speaks highly of her. Need to meet on reviewing contract – Need to set up google sheets for managing hotel stuff. Prefer to arrange our affairs first so we don't bother the hotel staff to much – it makes them cranky.

AD: Good idea to move this stuff – sheets and such – to OSFCI's google space.

LH: We are working on making OryCon staff has OryCon e-mails and we're not using personal stuff so things get lost when someone leaves.

RL: Hotels – Last time we had an outdoor tent – relieved masking issues – not an issue post pandemic.

AC: Tent is not part of this contract.

LH: Cafeteria is non-mask, also Green Room, Hospitality. Non-mask areas.

LH: Outdoor place would be nice. SH, LR LH would like an outdoor covered area to sit and eat, specifically for Merchants. Need to discuss this.

PW: Will find out deadlines from Carrie (sp? Hotel Rep) for service requests from hotel. Probably no problem to get this from hotel.

LH: An outdoor place like that would be nice for Merchants.

PW: Note that Carrie is a new person, but this probably not a problem

RL: November weather could be a problem. SH confirms that there is enough covered space without the tent. In case of rain.

PW: Meeting schedule for in-person at the hotel? Historically before setup requests are due and a few weeks before with the hotel, at the hotel.

AC: We have meeting space for the hotel

LH: Can update the meeting schedule to schedule meetings at hotel.

PW: Do people need to see the hotel?

AE: Would like a visit to the hotel.

LH: Also take VL around (our hotel-liaison in training).

PW: Will ask about tour, meeting at the hotel. Could have one for tour, decide if we want a pre-convention in-hotel meeting.

LH: Do we need two meetings? PW: it depends. AE would like two meetings at hotel.

PW: Do not trust hotels to be nice. Maybe try one hotel meeting and see if we need another.

LH: Hoping to put info booth and fan tables over where the piano is. Can we move things around.

PW: General problem with hotels and moving stuff – they have no hotel storage space – what they move has to go somewhere when you request things to move.

General discussion about why is there a piano in the lobby area anyway.

PW: Hotels prefer people not move stuff in case of injury. The less we ask them to move things from sleeping rooms, the cheaper for OryCon.

AC: Things can be moved by fans in Suites for set-up without asking hotels. Hotel has not charged us for that. We can ask to move the piano.

PJD: I've been in charge of signage for GameStorm – know that hotel well enough. Can assist in giving tours if needed.

LH: Morrigan (OryCon logistics lead) – Signage – Logistics Lead – does not do Zoom. (Morrigan does not do Zoom)

AC: Blue tape on back of signs and stuck to walls works for GameStorm.

AD: Suggest 2 meetings at the hotel. One for planning and pre-con meeting for last minute things.

RL: Suggest people go to chat if they want to volunteer. We need that

Child Care

Abt: 0:39:30

Some discussion about ChildCare hours with LH, VL, AE, AD.

VL: Suggestion ChildCare hours for 9AM- 9PM Fri, 9AM-9PM Sat, 9AM-4PM Sun.

AE: AE and RL can ask guests if they have Child Care needs.

Programming

Abt: 0:43:00

AE: We are ready to invite people. We've been ready for six weeks. However, the server was not.

AE: Next meeting is at AE's house. Meeting where people do things, but fun. People can bounce ideas off each other. Lots of comradery. AE's house is neat with lots of books and there will be food.

RL: The server is not ready. Underlying OSCFI infrastructure is broken. Mail has not been working for over a year. Committee in charge of it has varied in size and skill. RL got into this in November. Other people on committee resigned. Have been helping out website. Helped out with GameStorm website. Turned e-mail back on this past week. E-mail server is 90% working. Mail on server itself is not being delivered, but people send e-mail to server to be re-distributed; that works. Hope to have it fixed this week. First test was to send invite to RL failed. Second failed, arrived blank. Need to resolve. 2-3 days away from getting convention invites out.

AE: Sent another invite letter with updated dates.

RL: Website was still pointing to last year's Or-E-Con. WordPress is broken. For temporary measure put up temporary HTML and CSS version, not as complicated as WordPress. Basic, functional website.

HL: Website shows up on google now. First priority: set up RegFox page. Second: put them up on website and making public posts so people know registration is open. In the next few days, will re-focus on the website; have experience building websites (CSS, XHTML code); do something pretty and work with Rick.

Neither HL and RL has WordPress experience. May need to re-install WordPress. Only a guess.

RL: Web page is priority 2 after fixing mail. Have been webmaster in the past. WordPress has been used for the past few conventions. LH: need social media widgets in WordPress.

LR: Where is it hosted? RL: Web page is hosted with amazon web services.

AD: Mentions that OryCon 43 came up, the first thing, on a google search. Looks naked and bare for a website, but it is there.

LH: Want to add more information on web site. People should send info for website to AD, to archive and then pass on to Rick (RL). Want Archive of information kept by Secretary. Send to secretary@orycon.org (is forwarded to anne.davenport@orycon.org).

E-mail Issues

Abt: 0:57:30

AC: Explain how e-mail works.

__ Everyone is given an e-mail address <firstname>.<lastname>@orycon.org

__ There are also position e-mail addresses like chair@orycon.org and secretary@orycon.org and that is forwarded to the appropriate person with a <name>@orycon.org address.

__ If a person leaves their position, they have the archive of the position e-mail and the position can be transferred to another person.

AD: This is transparent to me; I send a test e-mail to secretary@orycon.org and it arrives at anne.davenport@orycon.org e-mail address.

AC: That is how it works.

LH: If it isn't working I'll go into the admin console to fix it. The forwarded e-mail will have [secretary] in the subject line to show that it was forwarded from the secretary e-mail. This is

why we don't want e-mail sent to 'rick' [for example], it should go to the position e-mail, then we have an archive of those positions.

LH: Anything for the web page should go to secretary@orycon.ory.

MR: Asks forwarded (from someone else) question about art panels.

LR: Person should send e-mail to merchants@orycon.org. No art panels. Will be having artist's alley. LH: they are responsible for their own display.

AE: Any artists that want to do any kind of presentation needs to contact Programming.

LH: Will change 'merchant@orycon.org to 'merchants@orycon.org.

Question from meeting attendee about having problems registering for a merchant table.

LH: We are almost done with pre-registration, RegFox system (registration). Get a system that is easy and QR code at con without volunteers digging through google sheets. LH plans on completing this for general registration tonight. Setting registration up for merchants will probably take another couple of days, working with merchant liaisons.

Meeting attendee is OK with the system now since so many conventions have been struggling to get back on their feet.

Outreach

Abt: 1:04:00

LH: Don't have an outreach director, so I've been working on that and public relations, including outreach.

LH: Talked about outreach for Norwescon next weekend, April 6-9 2023, Thurs-Sun. People have volunteered for Norwescon, need to schedule shifts for it. At GameStorm had 2 volunteers for shifts with Travis filling in for an hour for lunch. 2 people is not enough for Norwescon outreach for the whole weekend.

VL: May not make it to Norwescon this weekend.

SC: Can do most mid-late afternoons at Norwescon outreach table, about 3-4 hours with a break. Would also like to know what will be on the table.

LH: Online registration should be active by Norwescon at the fan table to sign people up in person. There is also a form if they can't do it online. Can take Square payment or cash – there will be a cash box. There will be OryCon bookmarks. Can show you how to do those things.

AJA: Was just going to hang out with new album at Norwescon because of no music program – can work at table, and have album to see under table.

LH: Part of outreach is a little contraption to hear over mask, and acts as a Bluetooth speaker; can use your music to act as a soundtrack for con-goers.

__ Are welcome to do his music at OryCon fan table.

__ VL: Allowed to sell if you have a business license.

__ But don't sell at table. We're non-profit.

__ AJA can point to someone with them but not at table to sell music tapes.

RL: Treasury staff should be handling the money box for them at the Norwescon fan table. Has to arrange treasurer representative at Norwescon.

__ For at OryCon, Cash box pick up can happen several times a day. At the end of the con the treasury staff gets together and balances the books. Will look into how it will be done at Norwescon. Have plenty of \$5s and \$10s for change.

LH: If no treasury representative is available, can handle cash box for Norwescon.

AJA: I have a Square account.

LH: OryCon has its our own Square. Had to leave her phone (with 3.5mm connection) at booth all weekend at GameStorm. That sucked. Don't want to have to do that again.

AJA (Alec): Has modern reader and iPhone Max 14 Alec and will send message to chair@orycon.org. with volunteer shift times for Norwescon and AJA can show VL how to use Square.

LH: Get OryCon Square account set-up on AJA's phone.

Planned Training

Abt: 1:15:30

LH: MR will be staff and/or volunteer training coordinator for convention. Need to collect volunteers as soon as registration is up and merchants are set up. Need convention and community (schools and event spaces) outreach tables; get people to come help us. Will have more information for Staff Training.

MR: Follows the rules, gets everyone else to follow the rules. For volunteer training.

LH: RegFox (registration software) has cool extras for running events. Has a training class thing to set up for staff and volunteers.

__ example: what to do if someone has their mask off in a panel room without confrontation.

__ various situations at convention.

__ answers to questions members have at cons.

LH: Want to have t-shirts for con staff.

SC: Happy to work registration, but I don't wear t-shirts. LH: that is OK. It's optional.

LH: Want safety watch to have some kind of jacket, identifying thing for convention.

AC: Jackets can be had cheaper – vests are more cost-effective. T-shirts are nice. But need to be laundered. Vests don't for a weekend.

LH: Vests are OK. Would like a cool t-shirt. Kumoricon has staff t-shirts but they are not required to wear them. Plan to have a design for souvenirs and design for staff.

Staff and Programming

Abt: 1:22:00

AD: Question: does SC have a staff position?

SC: Help with registration at outreach tables. And will help programming. Not technically inclines. Can bring iPad to programming meeting. SC can send AE an e-mail.

AE: Database is working and running. Can add SC to Programming list. All are welcome who want to help in Programming, too. Will send out reminders for Programming meetings.

AD: These people are in the staff directory; do they have positions? Linnea Thompson had to step down from staff for personal reasons. Jon Summers, Rachel A. Robinson, Joanna Mead, Janes Lee are not staff.

AD: Would like to change Role categories in Staff Directory to be more descriptive. LH is fine with that.

AD: Bunch of positions that are unfilled. LH no new recruits, maybe a couple of interested people at GameStorm. Any new people at the meeting are welcome to volunteer.

LH: Kate Weber has stepped down as web administrator. General sadness.

RL: Talked to CW and she had too many things coming up in life. May come back later, but can't expect that.

AD: Have been looking at other conventions online about what people do; would like to send a questionnaire about what people do for their role, before things get busy.

LH: Yes, do that.

AD: Nothing will be finished until after OryCon. Collecting information.

LH: Keeping track of what I'm doing/learning as Chair. Writing a document about what the Chair role entails. Prefer if everyone in a committee role does the same:

__ Problems in role, problem solving.

__ When tasks need to be done during the year.

__ What the tasks are.

LH: Look at link to March 11 facebook post about recruiting staff [see Attachment F]. For a start about convention jobs.

AD: Will be working on this in the background.

LH: Ideally want a separate Continuity Analyst, but happy that someone is doing it. AD: sort of goes with the secretary role anyway.

AD: Would like access to OSFCI space for saving OryCon documents. LH: Linnea Thompson is the OSFCI person to ask. Also send e-mail to LH after Norwescon; LH may have access to that space as well.

AD: Can get forwarded e-mail from secretary@orycon.org, but how can I send from orycon.org? Will work on it and ask questions later.

DR: Question from earlier Outreach discussion. Has Hollie made any suggestions in the absence of a PR person. LH have not heard from her, but might have her as a friend on facebook.

AD: From looking online, Norwescon is using their google space. Would be a good idea to ask them how they are doing that. LH: agreed. Thought we were going to have a Discord, but have not gotten to it.

LH: Not opposed to using the google space for stuff. Want Discord for community for attendees and everyone. Maybe a channel for staff.

LH: Ali Muñoz is Discord coordinator. Haven't had time to reach out, yet.

RL: Is concerned that LH has on vice-chair, so good to see things prioritized with the Chair doing so many things

VL: Why I'm available for extra work since Child-Care is easy.

LH: VL has been pretend vice-chair. For lists and other jobs. Micah has helped as well.

Guests

Abt: 1:39:30

LH: Have gotten one official decline for guests, Colin Meloy, author of WildWood series, is busy. Portland author and lead singer of Decemberists. But cannot make it.

LH: Invited Tamora Pierce, love to come but health is failing, not sure if she can commit. Talkinf to doctors. Probably a ‘no’.

LH: AC Doing list of author guest of honors. Looking at list for invites to go through. Still working on author guest of honor.

RegFox

LH: Got OryCon 22 registrations at GameStorm. –

LH: Met with treasurer that RegFox is viable for our money. Also, about handling the cash box and payments for expenses. Keeping the treasurer updated. RegFox is very complicated on the back end to set up, but then it’s easy on the front end. LH will handle the setup, which can be difficult.

__ Will talk with Linda Pilcher about getting our people set up with registration online. Linda will need to know about online registration.

__ Different people will be trained about in-person, at-the-con registration, which should not be difficult.

__ People get a QR sent to their e-mail. Individual.

__ They scan that and they get their badge.

VL: Can do pins for official OryCon symbol. Get quotes.

LH: Make a post online to see what people want. But can get quotes on cost. What Kumo and Furlandia use.

VL: Can think of two places for that

AD: Request that we take photo of people at fan table at Norwescon.

LH: There are photos online for GameStorm on facebook. Hazard and Daniel.

Last Things

AE: Sue Petry auction table will happen, so if you have things to donate, Patty Wells, AE, Joyce Zimmerscheid, Linda Pilcher know about it.

PW: Already have an odd collection of things for the auction in her garage.

LH: Contributions from our community. Would like art for our OryCon website when it is set up. Let people add things to the gallery. Like to see a souvenir book to publish things.

Melinda (MSP): Was a vendor in 2019. 2020, no convention. 2021 could not come. Never got a refund for 2020. Any way to get a refund on that.

SH: Will check on spreadsheet. Don’t have a problem with giving a rollover.

MSP: Paid in 2019 for 2020. That was cancelled by covid. Could not come in 2021. And 2022 was electronic.

LH: Should get a refund. We should be fair. Send e-mail to Scott and Lea about it.

AD: Can cut-and-paste the chat, but the Zoom-recorded version has a nicer format.

MEETING ENDS

Post-Meeting Chatter

Some post-meeting online chatter involved Carla Viltz volunteering for Registration.

W: RegFox has a per-member charge for \$5. For just people signed up with RegFox, or whole membership? How does this affect the budget.

LH: RegFox charges \$0.99 per registration, but would appreciate W. Researching this.

W: Heard that RegFox was \$0.99 + 2% at the door, up to a maximum of \$5.00. With a \$40.00 RegFox membership fee.

LH: Will research this and would appreciate W.'s help. Money stuff is scary.

RL: Is \$3.00/member a modest to significant cost to the convention. Could be \$3,000.0 which is bigger than some line-items.

W: RegFox does a lot, but we used to have legacy systems.

RL: Legacy systems have proven not to work anymore. This is why we're looking at other options. Commend Hazard for looking this up.

LH: (Looking online) Page says \$0.99 per register + 1% per paid registrant off of the average entry fee. Which average?

RL: 1% of \$50.00 is 50 cents.

W: \$1.50 person. RL: not too bad.

LH: Does allow for passing it's fees onto the attendees. Don't want to do that. RL: that's sneaky; don't like that either.

More discussion of costs. Don't want the RegFox fee to be tacked on. It will cut into our revenue. We're pinning all that down.

W. gives PJD his e-mail. She needs W.'s signature for an OSFCI something.

ATTACHMENT A: Meeting Attendance and Abbreviations

OryCon Staff

Seanara Coyote	Con Volunteer	SC
Aaron Curtis	Operations	AC
P.J. Duckman	OSFCI (Zoom Account)	PJD
Anne Davenport	Secretary	AD
Cecilia Eng	Advisor to Staff	CE
Ann Ezell	Programming Director	AE
Ley Hazard	Con Chair	LH
Scott Huber	Co-Merchant Liason	SH
Melvin Krehbiel (Wombat)	Treasurer (arrived very late)	W
Creede Lambard	Music Room Lead	CL
Veronica Lacquement	Child Care Coordinator	VL
Rick Lindsley	Programming Deputy	RL
Michael Pinnick	Hospitality	MP
Micah Read	Volunteer Coordinator	MR
Daniel Reitman	Programming Deputy	DR
Lea Rush	Co-Merchant Liaison	LR
Patty Wells	Hotel Liason	PW

General Public

AJA (Alex)	
JanetD.	
Charles DeVore,	
Don_a	Da
John Gray	
Michael Laitinen,	
melindasmallpatterson	MSP
oldhalloween	
Robert S.	
Ronda	
Joyce Zimmerschied	JZ
Carla Viltz (arrived very late)	

ATTACHMENT B: ORYCON Meeting Chat

(2:00 PM, Pacific Time, Start – Times are Central time where Chat was saved)

(Chat cut and pasted to file from meeting)

Veronica L. - Childcare Coordinator to Everyone 4:03 PM

Hello!

Micah Read to Everyone 4:03 PM

Hello, all!

It's not my fault! (I can hear you with difficulty, Scott. Others may have more difficulty.)

Shoot... I need to join the writers.

If my duties don't cause problems with that.

Micah Read to Everyone 4:09 PM

One transaction is an improvement, IMHO.

Seanara Coyote to Everyone 4:10 PM

I have a question about registrations: If people can't use PayPal, can they use a regular credit card? I don't know what Stripe is.

Veronica L. - Childcare Coordinator to Everyone 4:10 PM

Fri eve would be good too

Micah Read to Everyone 4:12 PM

Also, I'd like to advocate for more than those two rooms for LARP.

Veronica L. - Childcare Coordinator to Everyone 4:13 PM

YES food truck

Seanara Coyote to Everyone 4:14 PM

Yes, food truck. Hotel food is expensive and not always quickly available.

Very important!

Micah Read to Everyone 4:16 PM

Lardo, maybe, as an option?

Patty to Everyone 4:17 PM

There's never enough food options on Saturdays.

Micah Read to Everyone 4:17 PM

The different delivery companies could do that.

Ann Ezell to Everyone 4:18 PM

The rooms all have fridges and microwaves as well

Micah Read to Everyone 4:18 PM

Foiled again!

Veronica L. - Childcare Coordinator to Everyone 4:18 PM

Sounds good!

Micah Read to Everyone 4:20 PM

Lardo would get some business, I think. They're famous, and have Italian/American food.

Ouch...

Daniel Reitman (Programming Second)(He/Him) to Everyone 4:26 PM

Send the hotel management to Vulcan

BRB

Cecilia Eng in Kansas to Everyone 4:31 PM

...and the dealers near the door don't want the door opening and closing or blocked open, and I was always afraid that it would lock behind me if I went outside....

Micah Read to Everyone 4:31 PM

Yes. The door locking open would be a disaster.

I'll do a tour of that hotel again.

Sounds like a perfect place to put a Torchwood LARP.

Micah Read to Everyone 4:37 PM

My mom put a ton of stuff in this hotel storage for a week.

It was borrowed from other sources.

Scott Huber to Everyone 4:38 PM

We shouldn't have to worry about the doors; the new hotel is way more cool about blocking doors - I was right next to one of the doors at GS and it wasn't an issue.

Micah Read to Everyone 4:39 PM

The hotel we have is super-nice about doors. They insisted that I essentially karate chop the Washington Room doors.

That were metal.

PJ Duckhorn to Everyone 4:42 PM

Morrigan

PJ Duckhorn to Everyone 4:42 PM

is how she spells it

JanetD to Everyone 4:42 PM

Janet DeVore possible volunteer

Ann Ezell to Everyone 4:42 PM

Ann Ezell - programming head

JanetD to Everyone 4:43 PM

Charles DeVore possible volunteer

Seanara Coyote to Everyone 4:43 PM

Seanara Coyote -- will help with registration on site.

Lea Rush to Everyone 4:43 PM

Lea - Merchant Market CoLiaison

Rick L to Everyone 4:43 PM

Rick L - programming assistant, treasurer 2nd, temporary webmaster

Cecilia Eng in Kansas to Everyone 4:43 PM

Cecilia Eng: Filk fly on the wall.

Micah Read to Everyone 4:43 PM

She's The Morrigan. And I'm Micah R. - Volunteer Coordinator.

Don_a to Everyone 4:43 PM

Don Anderson- Tesla coil and High Voltage presentations

Micah Read to Everyone 4:44 PM

Micah R. also does Creation Station and LARP.

PJ Duckhorn to Everyone 4:44 PM

PJ Duckhorn-Office Manager

Michael Laitinen to Everyone 4:44 PM

I am Michael Laitinen. I showed some Art at the last Con And Volunteered in Hospitality at a previous Con.

iPad (3)Joyce Zimmerschied to Everyone 4:45 PM

Joyce Zimmerschied Egg table helper, possibly Green Room assisstant

melindasmallpaterson to Everyone 4:46 PM

Melinda Small Paterson- vended in 2019, possible vendor, helper

Ronda to Everyone 4:46 PM

Attended in person last in 2014. Vendor many moons ago. In 2014 we had VooDoo donuts food truck.

Michael Laitinen to Everyone 4:46 PM

I am interested in Volunteering , But due to health issues I cant stand for long periods of time. do you need help in the Art Room?

Micah Read to Everyone 4:47 PM

I'm the Volunteer Coordinator. We'll all be able to work something out.

Rick L to Everyone 4:59 PM

rick@eaglet.pdxhosts.com

Seanara Coyote to Everyone 5:08 PM

Yes, I plan to be helping at Norwescon. Mostly mid-late afternoons would be best.

Lea Rush to Everyone 5:08 PM

I'll take a few shifts

Veronica L. - Childcare Coordinator to Everyone 5:09 PM

Apologies

Patty to Everyone 5:14 PM

This sounds so wonderful!!!

Micah Read to Everyone 5:17 PM

I'd love to have at least one TARDIS for the 60th Anniversary of Doctor Who. Preferably near my booth.

I'm still Volunteer Coordinator and/or Rules Infraction Man, right?

m.pinnick@aol.com to Everyone 5:20 PM

No jackboots, then?

Veronica L. - Childcare Coordinator to Everyone 5:22 PM

I lurve shirts!

Micah Read to Everyone 5:23 PM

Idea: what if we got a bunch of jumpsuits with pockets?

Lea Rush 5:24 PM

POCKETS!

Micah Read 5:24 PM

My thoughts exactly.

And you can get like 3 of these for \$10.

m.pinnick@aol.com to Everyone 5:24 PM

Staff symbol-a hand holding an actual staff?

Cecilia Eng in Kansas to Everyone 5:24 PM

T-shirt prices, like the rest of the world, have gone up this year...

Micah Read to Everyone 5:27 PM

Who knows where jumpsuit prices have gone...'

m.pinnick@aol.com to Everyone 5:30 PM

And straightjacket prices have gone through the roof.....umm.....or so I've been told.

Hazard ♡ to Everyone 5:32 PM

[https://www.facebook.com/orycon/posts/pfbid0i8AerRWVDzeGvkqJXqCXSbVuaWBtPNr3FHfiYQRYM2DjxqT2EmrEMDN4EPVPyum1l?__cft__\[0\]=AZWM9Z7KVe-DZCiVFfea8YKXha0HrNDRfqwJ6TauxTChoPg3uqM7l2Am5Qmuy1XLLJYZnRikw50ljtFR0oCmVeHLFv0m7RO9kUuppFjuJFkhuyCIwOjX4X5ish-1fvAzf28Y8JvpunIPU_9clr7QpXh4W9X7LkG4LPJ1mU-3ZAKZuTdkoG_7NlNg1ghJvnKARj1SNai4IHu_RcQd9CyLvtK4&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R](https://www.facebook.com/orycon/posts/pfbid0i8AerRWVDzeGvkqJXqCXSbVuaWBtPNr3FHfiYQRYM2DjxqT2EmrEMDN4EPVPyum1l?__cft__[0]=AZWM9Z7KVe-DZCiVFfea8YKXha0HrNDRfqwJ6TauxTChoPg3uqM7l2Am5Qmuy1XLLJYZnRikw50ljtFR0oCmVeHLFv0m7RO9kUuppFjuJFkhuyCIwOjX4X5ish-1fvAzf28Y8JvpunIPU_9clr7QpXh4W9X7LkG4LPJ1mU-3ZAKZuTdkoG_7NlNg1ghJvnKARj1SNai4IHu_RcQd9CyLvtK4&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R)

Veronica L. - Childcare Coordinator to Everyone 5:33 PM

Oh! I have completed a background check for childcare stuff. I'm looking at event insurance to cover me as an individual.

Daniel Reitman (Programming Second)(He/Him) to Everyone 5:37 PM

Tote Bags?

Rick L to Everyone 5:37 PM

veronica, are you suggesting you'll be caring for children yourself?

AJA to Everyone 5:37 PM

Am I in your space???? How about now? Not touching you!!!!

Hazard ♡ to Everyone 5:37 PM

>/<;;;

Veronica L. - Childcare Coordinator to Everyone 5:37 PM

I want to be available in an emergency for childcare

Rick L to Everyone 5:38 PM

it's a very bad idea. That's one of the reasons why we contract out is to deal with liability issues.

Veronica L. - Childcare Coordinator to Everyone 5:39 PM

Ah ok.

Rick L to Everyone 5:39 PM

It is nice of you to offer but these days people are very litigious when it comes to their children :(

m.pinnick@aol.com to Everyone 5:43 PM

If anyone hasn't chosen another department. I could use help in Hospitality. Easy work, very flexible hours, and dibs on the snackies.

BTW, today is Dr. Demento's 82nd birthday!

Wombat to Everyone 5:45 PM

am here

AJA to Everyone 5:49 PM

I can make a post early telling folk I will be ther!

Seanara Coyote to Everyone 5:50 PM

Depending on what's involved as online program editor I might be able to do that, but I'd need the tech skills.

I haven't created a program book for a con in decades, though, back using Pagemaker in the late 1990s. Long time ago.

Wombat to Everyone 5:55 PM

Please CC me on the email about the refund/credit.

ATTACHMENT C: ORYCON Meeting Agenda, E-mail

From:

"D. Stephen Raymond, OryCon Email List Administrator" <d.stephenraymond@comcast.net>

Subject: OryCon 43 General Meeting: April 2nd, 2PM on Zoom

Date: Apr 2, 2023 12:12 AM

OryCon 43: April 2 General Meeting 2pm

No April Fool's joke here: We have our monthly General Meeting open to the public tomorrow at 2pm! If you join us, the first hour will be staff discussing department updates. After that we'll open to questions and input from the public, so come prepared with notes on what you're interested in or want to bring up. It's also a good chance to ask questions about how you can contribute as staff or as a volunteer.

Topic: OryCon General Meeting

Time: Apr 2, 2023 02:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

<https://us06web.zoom.us/j/86322805981>

Meeting ID: 863 2280 5981

One tap mobile

+12532158782,,86322805981# US (Tacoma)

+13462487799,,86322805981# US (Houston)

ATTACHMENT D: ORYCON Online Links

OryCon Web Page

<https://orycon.org/>

OryCon facebook page

<https://www.facebook.com/orycon>

OryCon Staff Directory and Committee Chard:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yokeN_ESMpxsXn1bBvYni5w5AeT0RcJhR3ykuzNWyeE/edit#gid=791848903

OryCon Meeting Schedule and Task Timeline

<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12TcE-7nf8ylP720qOxZe9SKk20RAcuEqC9U8dqPsPwg/edit#gid=0>

ATTACHMENT E: ORYCON Merchant Liaison Report; April 2, 2023

1. Merchant info has been published on FB, and handed out at GameStorm's dealer room and the OryCon Fan table. Handouts will also be distributed at KinkFest next week.
2. Thus far, we have 15 Merchant applications; 9 Dealers, 4 Artists, and 2 Writers. This is apx the proportion we'd expect, and a good start to the endeavor.
3. Lea and I have responded to all questions sent to us, and are easily on track to keep a fast turnaround time for any inquiries.
4. Lea is currently setting up a payment portal that can be used in conjunction with what registration is using – Redfox. We should be able to start invoicing dealers within two weeks.
5. We're currently looking into the possibility of having a food truck on site for Saturday -the day that's the most challenging for most people to get food.
 - A. The cost would be \$300 per day, paid to the hotel, for one food truck.
 - B. We've got one possible vendor for this; does anyone have contact info for the food truck used at GameStorm?
 - C. This is still preliminary, and dependent on the Chair and their budget decisions. \$300 would be the largest Merchant based expense and the only significant one.

Respectfully submitted,

Scott Huber, Co-Merchant Liaison
OryCon 43

ATTACHMENT F: ORYCON 11-Mar-2023 Facebook Post by Con Chair Recruiting for Con Staff

Link:

<https://www.facebook.com/orycon/posts/pfbid0i8AerRWVDzeGvkqJXqCXSbVuaWBtPNr3FHfiYQRYM2DjxqT2EmrEMDN4EPVPyum11>

Posted: 11-March-2023

Want to help ensure the con goes well this year? We'd love to have you as a volunteer or general staff within a department of your interest, but if you're devoted to giving more focused effort, we encourage you to apply to one of the critical positions open on our Committee! Read on to check out what might be the best fit for your experience and interests:

In Public Relations department we need:

- Public Relations Director, directs and reports PR progress*
- Publicity Manager, manages promotion and ad feedback*
- Accessibility Liaison, gives accessibility help and answers*
- Outreach Coordinator, manages ad tables at events*
- Social Media Moderator, tracks online interactions*

In the Operations department we need:

- Safety Watch Captain, coordinates safety patrols
- Tech Support Lead, ensures tech at con is working
- Volunteer Coordinator, recruits and assigns volunteers*

In Financial Services department we need

Merchandise Manager, handles merch orders and sales*

Fundraising Manager, schedules and runs funding events*

In the Documentation department we need:

Continuity Analyst, collects and records con procedures

Digital Archivist, organizes video and document records

Photojournalist, takes photos during con with permission

Wiki Supervisor, works with department to update wiki

In the Programming department we need:

Online Program Editor, tracks and edits online program

Pocket Program Editor, publishes physical pocket program

In the Member Services department we need:

Green Room Lead, sets up and runs participant room at con

Quiet Room Lead, ensures appropriate room usage at con

Each of these Committee roles report to that Department Director, and Directors report to and coordinate with the Chair to keep decisions and progress consistent with our ethics and goals, in order to create the most seamless, safe, and fun event we can!

If you're interested in joining as a volunteer, general staff, or Committee member, please send an email to volunteers@orycon.org with the roles you think you'd fit, why you're interested, your related experience, level of familiarity, and whether you'd need a past staff member in that role to give you training.

If you would rather chat about role descriptions in person, OryCon staff are hosting an event at our sister convention, GameStorm, on March 25, from 6pm to 11pm PST, called OryCon Lounge: Network & Chill in the Pettygrove convention space. GameStorm is a masks and badges required convention from March 23-26 in the same hotel space that OryCon uses, the Holiday Inn Portland Columbia Riverfront Hotel. Feel free to drop by our lounge at a calm break from the exciting convention, and have a chat with us!

*Currently all being done by one person, send help-